From the wankers & flakes department:
Piss Christ, Dung Madonna and now ‘Burka Mary’-: Aussie
Art Stupidity on Display:
* Brave libertarian ‘artists’ are convinced that they have moved the boundaries for ‘art’ once again: As long as it doesn’t provoke the soldiers of Allah who retaliate by burning embassies, killing people in their hundreds in a fanatical frenzy its all good, isn’t it?
* Strange that the depiction of the Muslim ‘prophet’ Muhammad is frowned upon. Strange that the depiction of humans is considered ‘haram’ in Islam. Even more strange that Muslims leaders are so obviously delighted with the useful idiots and attention seekers who defecate on their own culture and religious symbols. Or do they just see it as another victory for Islam in the jihad conquest of the West and its decadent, degenerated fools and useful idiots?
The Anglican bishop of South Sydney, Robert Forsyth, said he was surprised by offended reactions to the artwork.
“Christians are not about to go and kill people because someone did some cartoons – it’s not the way we respond,” he said. …
The Archbishop of Sydney, Cardinal George Pell, said: “As a person of faith and religious background I think it’s important to reflect on the icons of our faiths. Unfortunately, some contemporary art is tedious and trivial. These couple of works demonstrate this.
“Regrettably, attempts to insult Jesus and Mary have become common in recent years, even predictable.Too often it seems that the only quality which makes something art is the adolescent desire to shock.
“If this is the best the Blake Prize can do, it has probably outlived its usefulness.”
But the leader of the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils, Ikebal Patel, thinks it’s excellent to see Mary in a burqa.
But Australian Federation of Islamic Councils president Ikebal Patel said the statue was “not at all offensive”, because both the Virgin Mary and Jesus were revered figures in Islam.
* Ikebal would only be offended of his ‘profit’ Muhammad was depicted, like here:
* No doubt Ikebal would prefer to see all Australian females in the proper Muhammedan attire:
He has a little more of a problem with the Jesus-Osama image, mostly because it’s taboo to have any drawing at all of an Islamic prophet.
* Unfortunately the islamic Jesus, ‘Isa’-, is a completely different figure from the the one in the Christian bible: The Muslim Isa will return on judgement day to break the crosses, abolish the jiziyah and slaughter the swine. (The swine are the Christians) but don’t wait for Patel or any other Muhammedan to tell you that…
But Mr Patel said he was affronted by the image of bin Laden’s face blending into that of Jesus, who is deemed a prophet in Islam.
“You have a revered prophet of Islam being equated to somebody like Osama bin Laden.
”Also in Islam, we don’t have any paintings or drawings depicting any of our prophets, so I find it quite offensive.“
Al Reuters has more details on these works of fine art:
“Bearded Orientals: Making the Empire Cross” by Priscilla Bracks is a “double vision” print that depicts both Jesus and bin Laden.
Luke Sullivan’s “The Fourth Secret of Fatima” is a statue of Mary, her head and torso obscured by a blue burqa like the one Afghan women had to wear under the militant Taliban.
The artworks were among more than 500 entries in the Blake Prize for Religious Art, and have been included in an exhibition at the National Art School in Sydney.