John McCain told to dump spiritual guide in row over "war" on Islam

* Now that Barrack Hussein’s racist hate preacher has been exposed,  the rabid far- left are focusing their attention rather on McCains ‘spiritual guide’, a televangelist who urged a Christian war on Islam:

John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, has been called upon to renounce a church leader he considers his spiritual guide for urging a Christian war to destroy the “false religion” of Islam.

A number of prominent US weblogs demanded he reject the support of Reverend Rod Parsley, of the World Harvest Church of Columbus, an influential televangelist and political figure who campaigned alongside him in the run up to the Ohio primary.

On February 26, a week before the Ohio vote, Mr McCain appeared at a campaign rally in Cincinnati with the evangelical pastor, who praised the candidate as a “strong, true, consistent conservative”. With Mike Huckabee, a Baptist preacher, then continuing to snap at his heels, Mr Parsley’s endorsement was a boon to Mr McCain’s efforts to knock out his last remaining challenger and win over social conservatives. Standing side-by-side with the minister, Mr McCain hailed him as a “spiritual guide”.

Since then, the writings of Mr Parsley have attracted attention from political commentators. Several have noted that Mr McCain’s Democratic rival, Barack Obama, was forced to publicly denounce and reject the support of Louis Farrakhan, leader of the Nation of Islam, after he received unsolicited praise from the controversial figure.

The leader of a 12,000-member megachurch, Mr Parsley has written several books detailing his fundamentalist views, including the 2005 Silent No More. In this contentious work, Mr Parsley castigates homosexuals, abortionists, the entertainment industry and civil libertarians before turning his attention to the perceived threat to the United States from Muslims.

In a chapter titled “Islam: The Deception of Allah,” Mr Parsley speaks of Allah as a “demon spirit” and urges “war between Islam and Christian civilisation”. There is no difference between violent Islamist extremists and moderate Muslims, he argues.

* The man has a point.

“I cannot tell you how important it is that we understand the true nature of Islam, that we see it for what it really is,” he writes. “In fact, I will tell you this: I do not believe our country can truly fulfill its divine purpose until we understand our historical conflict with Islam.

“I know that this statement sounds extreme, but I do not shrink from its implications. The fact is that America was founded, in part, with the intention of seeing this false religion destroyed, and I believe September 11, 2001, was a generational call to arms that we can no longer ignore.”

It is not the first time that Mr McCain’s desperation to win over the religious right has landed him in trouble. The Republican had already angered Catholics by cosying up to John Hagee, the leader of an evangelical Texas megachurch who has described the Roman Catholic Church as “the great whore” and a “false cult system”. However the row did not prevent Mr McCain from storming to victory in all four March 4 primaries and laying claim to the party nomination.

Mr McCain had already been forced to dissociate himself from one speaker at the rally, a conservative talk radio host who repeatedly stressed Mr Obama’s middle name “Hussein” as he introduced the Republican candidate.

Today, several liberal commentators called on Mr McCain to explain what he meant when he said Mr Parsley was his “spiritual guide”.

Steve Benen wrote on Crooks and Liars: “It’s unsettling, but in this political climate, it’s easier for a right-wing religio-political figure to get away with anti-Muslim animus than anti-Catholic.”

He added: “But if McCain is going to tout Parsley as a “spiritual guide,” it’s certainly worth learning more about where Parsley might “guide” the Republican nominee.”

Times Online

16 thoughts on “John McCain told to dump spiritual guide in row over "war" on Islam”

1. There’s no equivalency. This subject should immediately be steered towards whether Parsley’s statements about Islam being evil are true.

2. Barrack’s preacher’s statements divide the country. McCain’s spiritual adviser is trying to unite the country against an aggressor.

3. el Greco, here is the address for the Islam board search for posts under my sn Chrstrr2. The post that I feel was deleted was on the Busted! TV Station Staging Islamophobia thread that I started. Another fellow proud Islamophobe named Rasuph answered and then my answer to her is the one I believe was deleted. I also copied the record for my posts. As you can see it was late so I might have accidentally hit delete but I’m pretty sure it was submitted. If you’re able to verify what happened I’d love to know. Thanx in advance!

Re: This is for non-Moslems
    in Islam N/A ChrsTrr2 3/12/08 at 09:16 PM
    Re: This is for non-Moslems
    in Islam N/A ChrsTrr2 3/12/08 at 07:57 PM
    Busted! T.V. Station Staging Islamophobia
    in Islam N/A ChrsTrr2 3/13/08 at 12:09 AM
    Re: This is for non-Moslems
    in Islam N/A ChrsTrr2 3/12/08 at 07:03 PM
    Re: This is for non-Moslems
    in Islam N/A Rasuph 3/12/08 at 07:36 PM
    Re: This is for non-Moslems
    in Islam N/A Rasuph 3/12/08 at 09:21 PM

4. I agree with what Rod Parsley said, but this is all we are going to get from the religious hotheads. Hot air. No practical solutions, no clever strategy for stopping the growth and expansion of islam, and sharia. Just overblown BS about destroying islam. This isn’t going to help us.

5. Savitch,

As a Christian, I am very aware of the threat of islam. I am also aware that many people will view the comments of Rod Parsly as ‘inciting hatred’. You mention “no practical solutions”, but I see the Christian duty is to do what God calls us to do, and that is to ‘love our enemy’. One of the biggest threats to islam is the conversion of muslims to Christianity (no bad thing) or even to another religion, or no religion at all (obviously I am ‘pro’ Christian conversion 🙂 ) but no doubt there will come a time that war will happen, and Christians will be called to take up arms (I hope only to defend my country, not to invade another country as a pre-emptive strike) but this should be a decision of government.

The ‘religious hotheads’ as you call them are actively doing missionary work in muslim countries, caring for the needy, healing the sick, and yes lovingly proselytising these people. You may call it ‘winning the hearts and minds’…..

6. Ok, well this is McCains tough talking spititual adviser. How much do you want to bet at the end of McCains time in office (I assume he’s the next pres) nothings changed, more muslims than ever are flowing into the US (and everywhere else) and the situation has deteriorated even further. You watch.
    Also I know someone who is very religious and she told me there is a plan in Australia to pray for the defeat of islam. Whether you believe or not, it’s not going to stop jihad.

7. Savitch>>” I agree with what Rod Parsley said, but this is all we are going to get from the religious hotheads.

McCain seems to be a hothead himself. As prez he’d be a hothead with the worlds strongest Army. I understand that while a P.O.W. in Vietnam he was at times fearless and defied the sadistic guards in his camp. A hothead with lots of balls–don’t sound too bad to me.

8. John>>”I see the Christian duty is to do what God calls us to do, and that is to ‘love our enemy’.

John, I’ve heard mention of a “just war”–are you able to expound on that in light of “love your enemy”? BTW, I’m an evangelical Christian myself. Formerly Catholic.

9. The last ones removing and abusing context should be the Christians concerning what Jesus said in instances like “love your enemies”… Funny when I ask Christians that use what Jesus said here, “in what context was He making this statement, and are you using it to imply all Christians have to be pacifists in the face of evil?” Usually I get the jaw drop and a long “ahhh, well, hmm, you also know the bible says “we wrestle not against flesh and blood…”. Scripture also warned believers to “not be blown about by every wind of doctrine”. Another words when you take principles of the bible and separate them out to suite your own viewpoint, without tempering it with the entirety of teaching on the subject. The Christian individual must not seek vengeance for wrongs done to him/her “for His name sake” and “turning the other cheek” is directly tied to following Christ as a individual disciple. Romans 13:18 says “If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men”.

But scripture also tells us God raises up leaders to punish evil…

“Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.”
    1st Peter 2:13-16

The individual believer sets the priority to try to win over their enemies with love and live in peace with men if all possible. But when God raises up a leader to punish evil doers, you must submit to the leader’s command. Certainly Islamic jihad is evil and begs for good & upright men to punish and put to silence the ignorance of foolish men who think we should nothing in the face of it.

10. We have seen what happens when Christians follow their religion and live life with no intent on doing harm – the muslims come in and slaughter them. It is being done in Africa right now.

We have to protect ourselves. Only in our country it is not starting out with muslim hordes slaughtering us – it is in the form of immigration, high birth rates, and infiltration. The violence will start – we are just not as far along as we see what is happening in Europe – once the muslim numbers are increased enough the violence will start.

The Europeans made a mistake by making an oil/money deal to side with the muslims against Israel and along with that accepted the muslims immigrants into their lands – now they have a big problem and the Europeans seem unable to want to do anything about it. They keep thinking appeasement works – and it obviously is not.

We see ‘sudden jihad syndrome’ (if the media is truthful about reporting it and most often they are not – the saudis have our media in their pocketbooks and they are told to either not mention muslim or to describe it differently – ‘Asian’, ‘disaffected youth’, etc)

11. Hope you don’t mind a foreigner, (Canadian), sticking his oar in. I have to look outside my country for a non-politically correct site which won’t censor me before I start!
    I’m in total agreement with your correspondants who understand the seriousness of the threat which islam poses to our democratic, freedom loving, tolerant way of life. As far as I’m concerned, islam is the greatest threat to world order since Hitler and Stalin.
    Why won’t people believe what muslims themselves are saying? “Christians and Jews are apes and pigs – the worst beings in allah’s sight.” “Hunt them down and kill them wherever ye find them.” “Smite off their fingers and decapitate them.” All to be found verbatim in the koran, which makes “Mein Kampf” look like a public relations manual. Take a look at England, Belgium and Holland – is this what we want for North America? When it comes to birth rates, Europe and North America aren’t even replacing the parents, while the sand weasels are averaging between five and six per family. Do the math and weep.
    If anyone is going to save the world from being propelled headlong into the ninth century, it will be the United States of America, but not before a few home truths have sunk in. The biggest obstacle to confronting the enemy at the moment is your president, George Wimp Bush. When I saw him a few weeks ago on the tube toadying up to his saudi masters I wanted to throw up. I wonder how many Christians, women and dissidents have been beheaded with that sword he was so cutely playing with? Can’t the man count? Fifteen of the nineteen 9/11 asassins were saudi citizens, and it has been proven over and over again that the biggest financial supporters of al quaeda are the treacherous shieks and princes of our “ally.” Don’t be deceived by islamic “moderates” – the doctrine of “taqqiya” specifically orders muslims to lie about their true intentions in order to further the islamification of the free world. A “moderate” muslim is simply an oppressor in waiting.
    Of course we must support our brave soldiers (American and Canadian) who are risking and losing their lives in the middle east, but on the other hand we do them a disservice if we fail to challenge the “big lie” that it would actually make some kind of difference if one rather than another islamic faction prevails in iraq. It isn’t this cell or that faction that is our enemy; the enemy is ISLAM. These precious young lives are being squandered on a fool’s errand when they should be back here in North America rounding up and deporting all the mosque rats we have so unwisely allowed to enter our countries.

12. Joe,

There are Christians in every walk of life, including the armed forces. There is no Biblical teaching against being in the army. There is no Biblical teaching against going to war and fighting an enemy. There is actually no Biblical teaching against ‘self -defence’. There is teaching about taking a slap against the cheek (an insult) and turning the other cheek. As mentioned earlier, we should not take Biblical passages and try to turn them into reinforcing what we want them to say. I am not into thinking that we are to ‘righteously punish’ anyone due to our own judgement, but I do believe that if we are called to fight by the government we elected, then we should. Obviously the question arises “what is a just war?”. Others may have a different view, my view is ‘a war of defence of our nation and it’s allies’.

Maybe this is a good subject to debate….

Comments are closed.