KIDNAPPING TRIAL POSTPONED DUE TO RAMADAN
PARIS, SEPTEMBER 5 – The main unions of the French magistrates said they are “astonished” by the decision of the criminal court of Rennes to postpone “due to the Ramadan” a trial of abduction. The trial had to begin on September 16, exactly in the middle of the sacred month for the Muslims, but the defending counsel has asked and obtained a postponement, affirming that his client, of Islamic faith, was “too weak” due to the fast.
A choice which is “quite surprising considering the principle of secularity”, Laurent Bedouet, secretary general of the Unified MagistratÃ©s Union (USM), said. Much harsher was the comment of Emmanuelle Perreux, chairman of the magistrates’ union (SM), who defined the postponement as “aberrant”. “We must return to the big principles and remember that we live in a secular republic,” Perreux added. On May 29, passionate polemics had accompanied the decision of the court of Lille, in northern France, to annul a marriage between two Muslims because the wife had lied her husband about her virginity. The marriage was annulled because, according to the judge, it had been done “on the basis of an objective error, determining in the consent”. (ANSAmed).