Lets make a dope deal…

Key charges dropped against ‘dirty bomb’ Guantanamo suspect: documents


* There is no political will to charge and execute the terrorists hauled up in Gitmo. Something stinks to high heaven:

The US Justice Department has dismissed the bulk of charges against Binyam Mohammed, a British citizen indicted in late May for allegedly planning a radioactive “dirty bomb” attack on US soil, according to court documents obtained by AFP on Wednesday.

* continued next page

Legal victory for Lockerbie bomber

Press Association

The man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing has won a legal victory in the latest stage of his bid to have his conviction overturned.

*  Gaddafi’s influence $$$ is written all over this…

continued next page

Justice Department lawyers stated that they “will no longer rely upon the assertions” in portions of reasoning behind the continued detention of Mohammed, who is being held at the US navy-run prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The charges related to the planning of a terrorist attack on US territory and active participation in it, the documents showed.

Mohammed, who was arrested in Pakistan in 2002 and transferred to Guantanamo in 2004, was accused of planning an attack that included the use of radioactive material and chemical weapons.

Mohammed’s lawyers have maintained their client admitted to a number of different scenarios after years of mental and physical abuse, including extended period of torture by CIA operatives before he reached Guantanamo and after he arrived.

They challenged his unlawful detention in a habeas corpus action in a federal court.

In an interview with AFP, Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd said the dropping of key charges against Mohammed did not cancel other allegations.

“Military commissions and habeas corpus challenges are separate proceedings that serve separate purposes,” Boyd said.

“The government’s objective in a military commission is to prosecute an individual for war crimes committed against the United States.

“The government’s objective in defending against a habeas corpus challenge is simply to demonstrate that the government has properly detained the individual as an enemy combatant,” he said.

The charges were dropped because they were based on “false confessions obtained through torture,” according to an article in the Washington Post that interviewed Mohammed’s lawyers.

The Justice Department “dropped key allegations to avoid having to turn over evidence of abuse,” the newspaper reported.

Mohammed’s lawyers have said their client should be returned to Britain, whose government has petitioned the United States for his release.

Legal victory for Lockerbie bomber

The man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing has won a legal victory in the latest stage of his bid to have his conviction overturned.

Judges ruled that Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi’s appeal could have a wide-ranging focus, looking beyond the issues raised by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC) when it suggested he might have suffered a miscarriage of justice.

The decision came after the Libyan’s lawyers lodged full grounds of appeal earlier this year and argued that the full appeal should include all the points pertinent to the case.

The Crown had opposed the move, arguing that it would be “absurd”, “illogical” and incompetent in law for Al Megrahi to be granted a hearing with such a broad focus.

Three judges at the Court of Criminal Appeal in Edinburgh have now rejected the Crown’s position.

Lord Hamilton, sitting with Lords Kingarth and Eassie, said the court “holds that the appellant (Al Megrahi) is entitled to have his stated grounds of appeal decided by the court on their respective merits”.

Al Megrahi’s lawyer welcomed the “important victory” for his client.

Solicitor Tony Kelly said afterwards: “It is a complete victory for the appellant’s position before the court and a complete rejection of the Crown’s argument.

“The Crown employed lots of resources to try to restrict the court and they have been stopped in their tracks. It is an important victory for Mr Al Megrahi.”

Al Megrahi, a former Libyan intelligence officer, is serving a minimum of 27 years in prison after being convicted of bombing Pan Am flight 103 in 1988, killing 270 people. He lost an appeal in 2002, but was given a fresh chance to clear his name in June last year when the SCCRC referred his case back to appeal judges for a second time.

2 thoughts on “Lets make a dope deal…”

  1. Oprahma will probably free all the scum from Gitmo. When the US sees more terror attacks I may have to consider it punishment for American stupidity in electing a fraud like him as president.

  2. What kind of attacks – who? They won’t have to attack – the Grand ole’ U.S.A. will be ruled by Sharia Law. The only ones who will be attacking are those of us with the balls to FIGHT.

Comments are closed.