Cupidity, incompetence and stupidity
(CNN) — An immigration judge on Friday rejected the federal government’s attempt to deport an Egyptian immigrant who had been acquitted of charges of illegally possessing and transporting explosives.
Youssef Megahed was released after being detained as a suspected terrorist for almost five months by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, in a politically explosive case that has pitted national security claims against charges of profiling and discrimination against Muslims.
A spokeswoman for the Justice Department’s Executive Office for Immigration Review, Elaine Kornis, indicated Friday that the government would appeal. However, ICE spokesman Richard Rocha later said the agency is reserving its right to appeal pending a review of the judge’s written opinion.
Megahed was released on his own recognizance, according to a court administrator. He needs to report once a month to a local ICE office and “not associate with known terrorists,” said Charles Kuck, the attorney for Megahed.
More from CNN
- Trial of the “Innocent Kidz” with “firecrackers in the trunk”
- Remember those ‘innocent kidz?’
- Emerson: Howling and whincing when jihadists get caught
- It’s Mega(hed)-Official: Smiling Muslim “Just Fireworks” Terrorists are Islamic Jihad, Tied to Al-Arian
- STORY HIGHLIGHTS
- NEW: Government sets conditions for man’s release, says it will appeal ruling
- Judge rules Egyptian immigrant acquitted on explosives charges can’t be deported
- Student Youssef Megahed detained five months before acquittal
- Case brings accusations of profiling, discrimination against Muslims