Egypt (AINA) — On Tuesday evening, October 27, a Muslim mob attacked the Church of St. George in the village of Nazlet Albadraman, located in the Deir Mawas District, Minya Province. The Priest and the congregation were held inside until they were freed by the village mayor after security forces dispersed the mob. The attack was prompted by the restoration of the Church’s tower, for which the Church holds the necessary permit.
Protestant Pastor Habib Ghattas said that the Coptic Orthodox priest Father Serabamon, phoned him from inside the Church and asked him to contact the security forces. “We need them to come and rescue us from the mob,” he told Pastor Ghattas.
The mob threw stones and destroyed the church’s windows, before going on to destroy cars, shops and Coptic homes. One Coptic woman, Ayman Nada Landy, suffered head injuries. Security forces are presently deployed in the village to diffuse the situation and prevent further escalation. The village was also placed under curfew.
- Muslim beheads Christian in Egypt
- Intimate Photos of Muslim Girl Spark Riot Against Christians in Egypt
- Egypt’s Coptic Christians Are Choosing Isolation – washingtonpost.com
- History of Jihad against the Egyptian Coptic Christians (640)
- Egypt Christian Persecution Profile
- Philippines Church Cancels Mass Following Grenade Attack…