“Muslims were disrespected! The foreigners shot the Koran, and then they burned it. They should be tried for this.”
Burn Obambi, burn…. “Students” Â burn an effigy of President Barack Obama in protest at American troops allegedly desecrating a copy of the Koran
Hundreds of angry protesters in Afghanistan’s capital today burned an effigy of President Obama, acting on rumors that American troops had desecrated the Koran.
Afghan police opened fire to disperse up to 1,000 protesters in Kabul on Sunday after they burned an effigy of President Barack Obama in protest at American troops allegedly desecrating a copy of the Koran. Telegraph UK
U.S. military officials emphatically denied that any copies of the Muslim holy book had been mishandled, and accused the Taliban of spreading falsehoods to incite hatred against Western forces….
And while it is perfectly reasonable and understandable that the military would issue such denials, it also serves to validate the ridiculous and dangerous assumption that it is perfectly legitimate to go beserk if a KoranÂ were desecrated.
The incident also pointed to a strong undercurrent of anti-American sentiment at a politically fraught time in Afghanistan, less than two weeks before a runoff to settle a divisive, fraud-tainted presidential election. The Nov. 7 face-off between President Hamid Karzai and former Foreign Minister Abdullah Abdullah was agreed to only after heavy U.S. pressure on Karzai to accept the results of an international audit. The investigators found as many as one-third of the ballots cast for Karzai in the Aug. 20 election had been fraudulent. That put the Afghan leader below the threshold of victory, 50%.
On Sunday morning U.S. news shows, both candidates ruled out a power-sharing agreement to avoid the runoff. Against this political backdrop, the Koran protest reflected a rising religious conservatism even among some members of Afghanistan’s educated elite, such as the university students who made up most of the crowd of about 1,000 demonstrators.
Police fired warning shots into the air when the demonstrators marched from Kabul University toward the parliament, but no injuries were reported.
Several marchers insisted they were certain that a Koran had been desecrated by U.S. troops in Wardak province, just outside the capital, even if they could not provide particulars of the incident, such as when it was believed to have taken place.
“Muslims were disrespected!” said Zabiullah Khalil, an engineering student. “The foreigners shot the Koran, and then they burned it. They should be tried for this.”
The demonstration, like many in the capital, had a heartfelt yet orchestrated feel to it. Khalil, like a number of other participants, expressed broad anger at the United States in connection with the election and its disputed aftermath.
“We don’t want a slave government,” he said. “We want a real Islamic country.”…
And that you shall almost certainly have.
Koran Madness in Gitmo
- This nonsense has been going on for much too long. The US military has prostrated itself in front of this madness. Especially galling is the unforgettable, Â idiotic statement by Condolllleeeeezzza Rice, affirmative action picaninni for imam George W. Bush, who cut the cake with: Â “Disrespect for the holy Koran is not now, nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be tolerated in the United States…”
- U.S. soldier uses Quran for target practice. Military apologizes: 17 May 2008Â … Jeffery Hammond, commander ofÂ U.S. forces in Baghdad,Â apologized for some perceived rumors of Koran desecration. Chapters in the Koran about killing Jews and non-muslims are especially disgusting.Â … Can you imagineÂ General Patton being forced toÂ kiss “Mein Kampf”Â …
- Top U.S. general in Afghanistan reached out to Â Afghan tribesmen apologizing for past mistakes and saying he is now studying the Quran, the Muslim holy book.
- U.S. MILITARY LEADERS IN IRAQ HUMILITATE THEMSELVES BEFORE MUSLIMS AND KISS KORAN
- FrontPage Magazine – Not So Fast on the Qur’an Apology…