Australia: 5 jihadists “motivated by intolerant, inflexible religious conviction” sentenced to prison terms ranging from 23 to 28 years
Justice Whealy said: Â ‘There is a wide range of material that has never been recovered,’ Â and “none of the men had shown remorse and their prospects for rehabilitation were poor”, Â from BigPond News
SYDNEYÂ (Reuters) – Five Australian Muslim men convicted of plotting to commit violent jihad in Australia were jailed on Monday for terms ranging from 23 to 28 years.
Unanswered questions remain : what measures are in place to prevent them from proselytizing to other prisoners? Why have they not been named? Â Why is their identity protected? Who allowed them to settle in Australia, in what they perceive to be behind enemy lines? And why should we, the taxpayers, have to feed them (and their brood) for life?
The men were found guilty in October 2009 of conspiring to commit a terror attack between July 2004 and November 2005, by stockpiling weapons and chemicals to make bombs, in retaliation at Australia’s involvement in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
During a 10-month trial, the prosecutor told the New South Wales state Supreme Court that the defendants obtained instructions on how to make bombs capable of causing large-scale death and destruction and literature which glorified the actions of al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden.
The prosecution never told the court of any suspected target.
Judge Anthony Whealy said in sentencing the men that the group was motivated by “intolerant, inflexible religious conviction” and said the prospects of rehabilitation was poor.
The men, aged between 25 and 44 and who cannot be named by order of the judge, were arrested in Sydney in 2005 as part of Australia’s largest ever terror raids…
Earlier today we received this, but I wanted to see the outcome of it first:
In October last year the five men from Sydney’s south west were found guilty of ‘conspiring to commit a terrorist act or acts’.
The jury’s verdict came after one of the longest trials in Australia’s history. It ran for 10 months.
During sentencing submissions the prosecutor said the men intended to kill and endanger human life and that they still hold their extremist views.
He said the Crown has no confidence they will be anything but a danger to the public when released.
The men have been in custody since 2005.
They face a maximum sentence of life in prison.