Egypt: Copts in Fear

Coptic Christians Worry About Future Without Mubarak

Egypt: Christians fear Muslim Brotherhood takeover, Coptic Pope forbids Christians to participate in demonstrations

Many Copts worry that Mr. Mubarak’s exit would leave them dangerously exposed—either by chaos, or to a government that may be more tolerant of Islamist extremists.  (WSJ)

This report says that Coptic Christians are defying Pope Shenouda and participating in demonstrations; on the other hand, however, a source on the ground in Egypt tells me that the news reports are wrong, and that Copts are not participating. Whatever may be the truth of the matter, it is certain that a Muslim Brotherhood state in Egypt would make their situation even worse than it is already.

“Fate of Coptic Christians in post-Mubarak Egypt worries some,” by John Rossomando in The Daily Caller, January 29:

Pic of the Week

5 thoughts on “Egypt: Copts in Fear”

  1. The Coptic christians must be given priority to settle in western countries if they wish or have to leave Egypt.

  2. Oh well, they’re just Christians.What does The United Sodomiteland of America care about Christians???
    This Leftarded Government sends tax payer’s money all over the world,but NOT to help some persecuted Christians. Heaven Forbid!!!
    We don’t want to upset our main “bedfellows,” Islam and China.

    P.S.,Sheikyermami,I LOVE your website.It’s the only one I have found that tells it ALL like it is.
    Thank you .

  3. A Coptic friend contacted me late last evening. He said while there is no violence they feel quietly confident about a good outcome. It seems to have been started by the Egyptian people from all walks of life and religions. He also said the Brotherhood is so far in a minority. The fact is that all citizens under Mubarak want him gone. They will not stop until he has gone.Outside of Cairo and alexandria it remains peaceful. so we should all hope he is right.

    Herewith is a letter sent to thousands of Australians this morning. I sent it on to most members of parliament for the state government. It echoes what we all feel. Tony Abott was sent a copy too.

    IN THE LATE 1940s

    Nik Ziogopoulos states what is fact and what we all believe.
    Nik would be in his 70’s at least.
    Nik Ziogopoulos
    I emigrated to Australia over 60 years ago – On the ship there were Poms,Italians (Spags), Germans (Huns), Yugoslavs (Yuges), Poles, Ducchys, Ukes (Ukrainians) and Greeks. (Note – All European people!!) all looking forward to starting a new life in Australia. I arrived with 30 quid in my pocket and that’s all I had to my name Did I put my hand out?? Of course not – I got a job and paid my way just like everyone else who came to this country back then.

    Now, it’s my taxes that subsidize these people who think they have Gods given right (read Allah) to come here and criticise those of us who have worked for the country we now call home.

    If I didn’t like what I saw when I got here I would have gone home – they have the same option.
    If they don’t want to become an Australian,

    When will this stop?
    They want 2 of their own public holidays, because Christians have
    Christmas, Easter & Good Friday,
    They force our children to eat Halal Meat Pies and Sausage Rolls from the school canteens, so the Muslim kids can feel more Aussie. We were not consulted about this change – they went ahead and just did it.
    Our foods are slowly all becoming Halal foods, our cheeses, chocolates & even good old sanitarium foods

    Our Government is ALLOWING this to happen. It has to stop now, while we still have some power to be able to stop it.

    Regarding Our National Anthem –

    I am sorry, but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Arabic – enough is enough. Nowhere or at no other time in our nation’s history, did they sing it in Italian, Japanese, Polish, Irish (Celtic), German, Portuguese, Ukrainian, Greek, or any other language because of immigration.
    It was written in English, and should be sung word for word the way it was written.

    The news broadcasts even gave the translation — not even close.

    I am not sorry if this offends anyone, this is MY COUNTRY –
    IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY SPEAK UP —- please pass this along

    I am not against immigration — just come through like everyone else. Get a sponsor; have a place to lay your head; have a job; pay your taxes, live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all other immigrants have in the past — and LONG LIVE Australia !

    Think about this:
    If you don’t want to forward this for fear of offending someone-
    Will we still be the Country of Choice and still be Australia if we continue
    to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries
    who have come to live in Australia because it is their Country of Choice??

    Think about it!


    It is Time for Australia to Speak up!
    If you agree — pass this along; if you don’t agree — delete it!
    That’s your choice.

    (in this Australia where ‘freedom of speech’ is a fundamental right of every Australian)

    I ask your indulgence Sheik and print it all. We all agree with it.
    Thank you for this forum where we can still say what we think..

  4. Egypt: Copts accuse former interior minister of collusion in Alexandria church bombing

    Several damning allegations below. “Former Egyptian Interior Minister Accused of Collusion in Alexandria Church Bombing,” by Mary Abdelmassih for the Assyrian International News Agency, June 4:

    (AINA) — The Egyptian attorney general has reopened the investigation into the bombing of the Two Saints Church in Alexandria on New Year’s Eve, which killed 24 Copts and injured more than 90. On May 25 Coptic Church attorney Joseph Malak presented a petition to the Attorney General to reopen the investigations into the church bombing. The petition accused former Minister of Interior, Habib el-Adly, of criminal responsibility and collusion.
    The Attorney General assigned the case to the Supreme State Security Prosecution to question the former Minister of Interior, who is presently in prison on other charges, including ordering the shooting of more than 900 protesters in Tahrir Square on January 28.
    “We expect el-Adly to appear for interrogation before prosecution within the next few days,” said Malak in an interview on Egyptian TV. He said that everyone was surprised when in mid April it was reported that all 20 Muslim suspects in the church attack were released and that they had been held as “political detainees
    The bombing of the church shocked Egypt and the world and brought international condemnation of Egypt, including from Pope Benedict, for not protecting its Christian minority against violence, especially as Egyptian churches had received repeated threats of retaliatory action from al-Qaida militants in Iraq, immediately after the massacre of 58 Assyrians at Our Lady of Deliverance Church in Baghdad.
    In both the Iraq and Egypt attacks the reason was allegedly over female Christian-converts to Islam who were held against their will by the Coptic Church. The Coptic church has denied the accusation.
    The lack of security forces guarding the threatened Egyptian churches was heavily criticized, especially as the security forces withdrew nearly one hour before the blast, leaving only four policemen and an officer to guard the church and nearly 2000 people attending the midnight mass. Coptic activists had called at the time for the resignation of Habib el-Adly, who was then Interior Minister, and pointed fingers at Muslim Salafists in Egypt (AINA 1-2-2011). Following this announcement and the arrest three weeks later of 20 suspects in the church bombing, a media blackout was imposed by the General Prosecutor’s Office.
    The church in Alexandria assigned Malak to pursue the case. “I had an unofficial meeting with the prosecution in Alexandria, requesting information on the decision to release the suspects in the church bombing, the disclosure of the investigations conducted with them, as well as the progress in the case and if it was still open.”
    Malak said he was stunned to learn the case had been “frozen” since January 25 and the file was transferred to the Supreme State Security Prosecution. Also, there were no accused, as previously claimed by the Interior Minister, and those who were detained were never investigated. “I was told by prosecution that they do not even have the names of the accused, and the only role they played was investigating the witnesses and the injured.”
    Malak said he sent a complaint to the Military Council, but never received a reply, so he approached the Attorney General.
    “We believe the Interior Minister had a security breach and there was a certain security policy which was evident in this case.” He added that after the Egyptian church got direct and clear threats from Al-Qaida in November 2010, the security forces should have been fully prepared for this threat….
    In a way, one supposes they were.

Comments are closed.