CAIR: Media darling,Â 1st Amendment enemy
Exclusive: Joseph Farah describes true natureÂ of alleged ‘Muslim civil-rights’ organization
You’ve got to hand it to Muslim Brotherhood front groups like the Council on American-Islamic Relations â€“ known as CAIR.
It is conducting, with brilliant success, a media strategy in which it is portrayed as a Muslim civil-rights group earnestly fighting against religious bigotry in the best tradition of the United States of America, while it systematically attacks the First Amendment’s protections of freedom of speech and religious liberty.
And the U.S. media â€“ practically all of it â€“ from CNN to Fox to the New York Times and ABC, NBC and CBS, offer CAIR the red carpet treatment to make its subversive case to the nation and the world.
Let me give you a few compelling and recent examples of the way this works.
- Islamic Terror Suspect Tried to Kill FBI agent “upset over the terrorism investigation”
- Hamas-linked CAIR claims FBI harassing Tampa-area … – Jihad Watch
- New York Times takes up Hamas-linked CAIR’s cause of …
- Obama White House applauds Hamas-linked CAIR …Â
- FBI chief: “We have no formal relationship with CAIR …Â
- This week CAIR called a news conference in Seattle to charge that FBI agents are trained “to view mainstream Muslims with suspicion and to view the faith of Islam itself as the source of terrorism and extremism.” The evidence? A document signed by a local FBI agent and distributed in a class stated in part: “A careful comparison of Arab/Islamist propaganda and Nazi propaganda reveals the closeness of these links. … I would suggest that the current conflicts are a continuation of Nazi policies carried out by Arabs. …” If such a charge were untrue, of course, CAIR might have a point. But there is overwhelming evidence â€“ in fact, historical proof â€“ that those words are 100 percent accurate. In fact, I can tell you as an Arab-American who published a well-documented book,Â “The Nazi Connection to Islamic Terrorism,”Â on this very subject of the historical and contemporary links between Adolf Hitler’s Nazis and the modern Islamist ideology, that the allegation is beyond question â€“ if the facts are actually examined.CAIR knows the American media has no stomach for the truth. And it also knows the U.S. Justice Department under the leadership of Eric Holder and, ultimately, Barack Obama, has no stomach for that kind of truth either. The FBI is hardly antithetical to groups like CAIR, which portray themselves, their membership, their officers and their leadership as mainstream Americans. The FBI formerly used CAIR to provide sensitivity training to agents regarding the Islamic community â€“ until it discovered the true nature of the organization. CAIR told Muslim-American followers not to “snitch” on members of its community when they suspected illegal activity. CAIR was named an unindicted co-conspirator in the largest terrorism fundraising case in American history. And more than a dozen employees, directors and officers of CAIR have themselves been arrested, indicted or convicted of terrorism-related charges since Sept. 11, 2001. In this case, not only is CAIR attacking free speech, it is conducting a direct assault on America’s national security by attempting to force the nation’s top law enforcement organization from using actual facts to educate its agents.
- National Public RadioÂ andÂ the New York TimesÂ recently jumped all over the FBI for allowing its agents to be briefed by experts in Islamic terrorism who weren’t properly vetted â€“ meaning they weren’t selected by Muslim Brotherhood front groups like CAIR. Both of the reports were derivative of and made reference toÂ an article in Wired.com prepared by Spencer Ackerman,Â famous not so much for what he has published but what he wrote that he never intended to be published. At the time, working for the George Soros-backed Washington Independent, he famously called upon his colleagues to deflect attention from Barack Obama’s relationship with Rev. Jeremiah Wright by changing the subject. When anyone criticized Obama, they needed to be labeled as “racist,” he explained. Even more telling was this Ackerman statement: “Find a right winger’s (sic) and smash it through a plate-glass window. Take a snapshot of the bleeding mass and send it out in a Christmas card to let the right know that it needs to live in a constant state of fear.” Ackerman is not exactly a seeker of the truth â€“ and that’s exactly what the experts he attacked were trying to share with FBI agents. CAIR is there to assist media people like Ackerman prepare their “stories” â€“ and there again to spread them to more mainstream outlets, and all the while cheering them on from the sidelines and providing corroborating quotes.
- CAIR is supporting a Florida school district and a judge’s decision restricting the free speech rights of students who wore T-shirts that said “Islam is of the Devil” to school. One can certainly argue whether wearing such T-shirts is a good idea or not, but one can scarcely argue that they are not within the scope of First Amendment protection. Even the judge who upheld the school system’s decision wouldn’t make that case. Instead, he ruled that the First Amendment rights of students at school are not as broad as they might be elsewhere â€“ which, of course, means this is one more nail in the coffin of students’ First Amendment rights. Please tell me how we teach students about the value and purpose of the First Amendment while restricting their exercise of it.
- CAIR is also working to stop at least three notable authors of books on Islam from speaking at U.S. colleges and universities. This week the battle is overÂ former Muslim Nonie Darwish,Â set to speak tomorrow at Virginia’s George Mason University School of Law. According to a press release, CAIR wants the school to disinvite Darwish â€“ whom CAIR calls “a notorious Islamophobe who has stated that Islam is a ‘poison to a society’ that is ‘based on lies’ and must be ‘annihilated'” â€“ from a planned Oct. 5 address titled “The West’s Clash with Radicalism.””Such hate-filled views should not be funded by student organizations or endorsed by professors,” said CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper. “Darwish’s genocidal statements are reminiscent of those used to target the Jewish community in Nazi Germany.” But Darwish, whotold WND she sees Muslims as victims of Shariah (or Islamic) law, says CAIR is falsely equating criticism of a religion with hatred for a people because “the problem for CAIR is that they cannot debate us about the glaring truth, so they claim we hate Muslims, trying to deflect the attention of the American people from the true worldwide problem of Islamism, jihad, Shariah and tyranny.“If anyone criticizes the ideology of Islam, jihad and Shariah, CAIR spins it to an attack on the Muslim people, confusing the American people between criticism of an ideology and being a racist against a whole group of people,” Darwish told WND. “I hope that the American people are more intelligent than to fall for this kind of childish spin.”CAIR also hopes to prevent Pamela Geller, author of the new bookÂ “Stop the Islamization Of America,”Â and Robert Spencer, author ofÂ “Stealth Jihad,”from speaking on college and university campuses. Is that activity what one should expect from a “civil-rights organization”?
- Then there’s the little matter of Iranian Pastor Youcef Nadarkani’s death sentence for “apostasy” in Iran. You might think an American “Muslim civil-rights group” might take special interest in a Christian facing the gallows in Iran over a matter of his faith. After all, it wasn’t more than a week ago that representatives of CAIR were basking in accolades over their role in helping to free two American hikers abducted by the Islamic regime. To date, CAIR has not issued a single word of concern or condemnation over the death sentence for a Muslim convert to Christianity. Of course, if you believe in the Muslim tenet that converts from the faith are deserving of the death penalty, I suppose silence is in CAIR’s best interests as an undercover operative inside the U.S. attacking the Constitution and promoting Shariah law.
I have had my own experiences with CAIR over the years. As an Arab-American whose Christian grandparents fled the Middle East because of Islamic domination, I had many opportunities to debate CAIR representatives on television and radio. In every case, CAIR lobbied hard for an opponent who was less able. When Dr. Laura Schlessinger announced me as a guest on her old syndicated radio program to discuss the Middle East, CAIR flooded the network with faxes of howling protest.
As a result of that kind of campaign, I have not been invited on any show to debate CAIR for at least five years.
But to really understand CAIR and its importance as a threat to U.S. national security and our constitutional freedoms, you need to read the book,Â “Muslim Mafia: Inside the Secret Underworld That’s Conspiring to Islamize America” â€“ the only book of its kind ever produced. I’m proud to say it was published byWND Books.Â I’m also proud that WND Books is battling CAIR’s legal assault against one of the authors of that book and his son who infiltrated the organization posing as an intern.
Of course, it’s easier for media institutions to pretend CAIR is simply what it claims to be â€“ a Muslim civil-rights organization
It’s easier for the FBI, especially given the political realities of the day, to pretend CAIR is simply what it claims to be â€“ a Muslim civil-rights organization.
It’s easier for all Americans to avoid getting involved in the fight to preserve America’s heritage of constitutionally guaranteed free speech by simply pretending CAIR is what it claims to be â€“ a Muslim civil-rights organization.
It’s messy to stand up to thugs like this. It’s risky to expose people’s terrorist connections and the threat they pose to national security.
Nevertheless, I don’t have another country to escape to like my grandparents did â€“ at least not one that is supposed to stand for freedom and the rule of law under God. So I choose to make my stand here.Â I hope you will join me with your support for WND’s legal defense fund and our battle with the Muslim Mafia.