Somalia: Al-Shabab Headbanger Meets Virgins

Al-Shabab leader believed killed by U.S. commandos

US Navy SEAL Killed Shabab Leader in Somali – Kenya Massacre

Navy SEAL unit raids villa housing Al-Shabab militant group, NYT reports; U.S. government source confirms that American military operation targeted Al-Shabab militants in Somalia.

A U.S. government source confirmed on Saturday that American military forces conducted an operation in Somalia targeting a member of the militant group Al-Shabab, but could provide no further details.

A Somali intelligence official said the target of the raid at Barawe was a Chechen commander, who had been wounded and his guard killed. Police said a total of seven people were killed. (Haaretz)

Earlier, the New York Times Reported that a U.S. Navy SEAL team is believed to have killed a senior leader of the group in a raid on his seaside villa in Somalia in response to a deadly attack on a Nairobi shopping mall last month.

The unidentified target was believed to have been killed in a predawn firefight on Saturday after the SEAL team landed in the Somali town of Barawe by sea, but the commandos were forced to withdraw before that could be confirmed, a report on the newspaper’s website quoted a senior U.S. official as saying.

It said U.S. officials initially reported that the commandos had seized the Al-Shabab leader, but later backed off that account.

“The Barawe raid was planned a week and a half ago,” the paper quoted an unnamed U.S. security official as saying.

“It was prompted by the Westgate attack,” he added, referring to a militant assault on a Nairobi shopping mall two weeks ago in which at least 67 people were killed.

The Times quoted witnesses as saying that the firefight lasted more than an hour, with helicopters called in for air support.

The Times report quoted a spokesman for Al-Shabab as saying that one of its fighters had been killed in an exchange of gunfire but that the group had beaten back the assault.

The paper said a senior Somali government official confirmed the raid, saying, “The attack was carried out by the American forces and the Somali government was pre-informed about the attack.”

Earlier, Al-Shabab militants said British and Turkish special forces had raided the coastal town overnight, killing a rebel fighter, but that a British officer had also been killed and others wounded.

Britain’s Defense Ministry said it was not aware of any such British involvement. A Turkish Foreign Ministry official also denied any Turkish part in such an action.

A Somali intelligence official said the target of the raid at Barawe was a Chechen commander, who had been wounded and his guard killed. Police said a total of seven people were killed.

Also on Saturday, U.S. officials said that a second American operation, conducted in Libya, captured senior Al-Qaida figure Anas al-Liby, who was indicted by the United States for his alleged role in the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in East Africa.

One thought on “Somalia: Al-Shabab Headbanger Meets Virgins”

  1. US Targets Al Qaeda Leaders in Somali and Libya, Ignores Benghazi Perps

    Posted By Daniel Greenfield On October 5, 2013 In The Point

    US personnel were sent into Somali and into Libya’s capital to capture Al Qaeda leaders– one of whom was killed during the operation.

    American commandos carried out raids on Saturday in two far-flung African countries in a powerful flex of military muscle aimed at capturing fugitive terrorist suspects.

    The Somalia raid was planned more than a week ago, officials said, in response to a massacre by the militant Somali group Shabab at a Nairobi shopping mall. The Navy SEAL team targeted a senior Shabab leader in the town of Baraawe and exchanged gunfire with militants in a predawn firefight.

    The unidentified Shabab leader is believed to have been killed in the firefight, but the SEAL team was forced to withdraw before that could be confirmed, a senior American security official said.

    Thank goodness for that otherwise he would have the ACLU on speed dial.

    Abu Anas, the Libyan Qaeda leader, was the bigger prize, and officials said Saturday night that he was alive in United States custody. While the details about his capture were sketchy, an American official said Saturday night that he appeared to have been taken peacefully and that “he is no longer in Libya.”

    Anas Al Liby had been living in Iran until last year when Obama overthrew the Libyan government and he decided that it was a good time to see what could be done there.

    He’s wanted for the ’98 Al Qaeda bombings during the Clinton administration. And now that he’s captured, Obama will no doubt insist on giving him a civilian trial, the way he wanted to give to Osama bin Laden.

    Going after Anas Al Liby was a good thing, though it certainly took a while which could make one suspicious about the timing, but the Benghazi killers have been walking the streets without fear. Why not go after them? Or do we have to wait another 15 years for that?

Comments are closed.