Walter Adrian, 23, and his boyfriend, who asked not to be named, were attacked outside Barclays bank on Whitechapel Road after leaving a friend’s party.
As they withdrew cash, up to seven Bangladeshi teenagers on pushbikes surrounded them asking “who is s***ing who off?” and “are you fags?”. They then punched and kicked the couple.
Mr Adrian’s partner, a Masters media student at Goldsmiths University, said: “I feel like I have to ‘gay-down’ a bit, that I should wear trousers and not skinny ones. We are not very gay, we don’t wear pink or glitter, and they still picked on us.
“We are just scared and afraid it might happen again and it just shouldn’t be like that. You get these patrols that make you feel like you’re trespassing in their area. I think it’s a clash as people are starting to move into multicultural areas.”
Shaleem Uddin, 20, Shadhat Hussain, 19, Kamrul Hussain, 22, and Massom Rahman, 22, targeted Mr Hounye when they saw him swigging from a bottle of Jagermeister.Â They thenÂ chased him, beat him, and smashed the bottle over his head, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.Â CCTV footage shows Mr Hounye being kicked mercilessly as he lay crouched in the road.
- Gang of (Musel-)men attacked student Francesco Hounye, 23, in east London
- Men snatched a bottle of JagermeisterÂ from American and hit him with it
- Shocking CCTV appears to show gang beating student up and chasing him
- Three of the men have admitted GBH following attack last June – with the fourth admitting GBH with intent
- Samad Uddin, 24, claims it is a case of mistaken identity and denies GBH with intent
The student suffered extensive injuries – including a smashed eye socket.
A fourth man, Samad Uddin, 24, is on trial for grievous bodily harm after the four others admitted their roles in the attack.