Andrew Bolt gets better by the day:
TONY Abbott has exploded one of the dangerous myths of our out-of-control immigration program. We once expected immigrants like my parents to assimilate to Australian values.
But now Australia assimilates to the values of the immigrants â€” including the most oppressive values.
The Prime Minister confirmed it on Tuesday in explaining why he’d dropped his plan to scrap restrictions in the Racial Discrimination Act that make it unlawful simply to “offend” someone with a statement related to their “race” or ethnicity.
“We are also determined to engage in ever closer consultation with communities including the Australian Muslim community,” he said.
“When it comes to counter-terrorism, everyone needs to be part of ‘Team Australia’ and I have to say that the Government’s proposals to change 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act have become a complication in that respect.”
Pardon? We must placate Muslim Australians by restricting our freedom to say something critical of their cul-(ture), for instance,
extremists savages being so prone to jihad?
This Liberal Government:
– has dropped its plans to restore free speech.
– maintains the fiction that man-made global warming threatens the world and we can stop it.
– proposes to change the constitution to divide Australians on the basis of their “race”.
– maintains absurdly high levels of immigration despite evidence of overcrowding and social dysfunction.
– has actually increased government spending.
– has left the ABC largely untouched, and dangerously huge.
– has left the Human Rights Commission intact and now functioning as a de facto opposition.
– proposes intrusive new surveillance powers it struggles to explain.
– has left oppressive workplace restrictions in place.
– has raised the top tax rate by 2 per cent, and broke an election promise in doing so.
Yes, it still:
– opposes same-sex marriage, but is toying now with allowing a conscience vote that is more likely to allow it.
But at least it has:
– called a royal commission into union corruption.
– stopped the boats.
– scrapped the carbon tax.
Are Liberal supporters happy? Should they be?
I am very disappointed that the government has dropped its plan to repeal section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act under the guise of national unity. If we want to live in a free society, we should take the advice of Chopper Read and harden up. There are many pressing issues for our governments and courts, but the question of who has had their feelings hurt is not one of them…
The government is now saying it will also force internet service providers to store the internet communications of their customers. We are all to be treated as potential criminals-in-waiting, with the evidence to be held in case it is needed.
This is not acceptable. In a liberal democracy in which the government serves the people, free speech must be the default option, with every encroachment subject to strict justifiÂcation. Agencies such as ASIO must never be given the benefit of the doubt.