But this is a rather common modus operandi by leftists to claim victimhood:
THE ABC has ramped up security at major offices across Australia in response to threats following former terror suspect Zaky Mallah’s Q&A appearance, as the network’s chief Mark Scott breaks his three-day silence.
An ABC spokesman said: “Security has been stepped up at major ABC offices across Australia as a precautionary measure to protect the welfare of staff. There have been a number of threatening phone calls.”
The spokesman said more than 1000 complaints had been received.
According to a leaked email, headquarters are operating in “after-hours mode”, with no access for the general public.
ABC employees will only be able to enter using their access cards, and all official visitors will be escorted through the building.
A sign at the entrance of the ABC offices in Southbank reads: “Staff ID cards and visitor passes MUST be displayed at all times whilst inside this building.”
It comes as Mr Scott robustly defended the Q&A program, saying the show that put a former terror suspect live to air should have at least a 20-year lifespan at the ABC.
And he directly confronted Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who had queried whose side the ABC was on, saying the national broadcaster was “clearly Australian, it’s on the side of Australia’’.
Mr Scott made the comments in a defiant speech in Melbourne last night, hours after the Government announced a departmental inquiry into the ABC’s decision to give Mallah a chance to ask questions live on air.
Mr Abbott said “heads should roll’’ over ABC’s decision to broadcast Mallah, then repeat the show the following day.
Mallah, who served 2½ years in jail for buying a gun and threatening to kill ASIO officers, but was acquitted of two terror offences, used the opportunity to declare the Liberals were driving young Muslims into the arms of vile terror group Islamic State.
Mr Scott said he believed it was an error of judgment for Mallah to have been included in a live TV environment, but defended the ABC’s independence.
“It’s precisely this independence that shapes the ABC as a public broadcaster, not a state broadcaster,’’ he said.
“I hope no one seriously wants the ABC to be a state broadcaster. We know the examples. North Korea and Russia. China and Vietnam.
What a scumbag. It was him and all the screaming leftoids at the ABC the killed the abolition of 18C. Are thy free speech champions now?
“I feel that Q&A has all the potential of being a 20-plus-year franchise for the ABC, so we need to treat it with care.’’
Mr Scott did not address how the decision was made to allow Mallah into the audience, use the taxpayer funded shuttle-bus to get to the Ultimo studios, and why he was chosen to ask questions of the panel.
Mr Abbott on Thursday called in the Communications Department to investigate.
“Here we had the ABC admitting a gross error of judgment and then compounding that terrible mistake, that betrayal, if you like, of our country, about giving a platform to this convicted terrorist and sympathiser, they compounded the mistake by rebroadcasting the program,’’ Mr Abbott said.
“Now, frankly heads should roll over this. Heads should roll over this.”
The Communications Department will look at the context in which Mallah appeared and his previous engagements with the ABC, the decision-making around putting him to air, the physical security in place that night, and whether any broadcasting codes had been breached.
Mr Scott said the ABC would co-operate with the “snap inquiry’’, which will report back next Tuesday.