In Europe, the Islamic invasion goes into overdrive:
Islamic State: Gang of five would-be terrorists stopped at Sydney Airport
THE largest single group of suspected jihadists attempting to leave the country bound for Syria and Iraq have been intercepted at Sydney Airport.
A senior intelligence source has confirmed five young Sydney men had triggered an alert at Sydney Airport last week as they all tried to leave the country together bound for the Middle East.
It is believed they were “red-flagged” at the immigration checkpoint, with the new counterterrorism units called in to intercept them before boarding an initial flight to Malaysia.
It is understood all were carrying large amounts of cash. It is also understood other materials were discovered.
They were then prevented from flying. At least some of the men were known to government authorities.
The group, who when stopped on August 12, were believed to be trying to reach either Iraq or Syria with the suspicion that they intended to join terrorist groups.
It was also confirmed that two of the five men attempted to leave again the next day but were again intercepted.
All had their passports immediately suspended under new laws passed by the Abbott government allowing the Attorney-General’s Department and ASIO to recommend immediate suspension of passports.
The five are now under investigation by federal agencies.
The interception has alarmed authorities, who said, despite repeated warnings, young radicalised men are still attempting to the join Islamic State terrorist army in the Middle East.
The intelligence source said four of the men, all aged in their 20s, had each been carrying $9900 in cash — just under the threshold that requires currency to be declared. The fifth was carrying $12,000.
“They triggered an alert when they tried to leave,” the source said.
“Then the CT guys (counter- terrorism unit) were called in to look at them and they were offloaded. It’s certainly one of the larger, if not the largest group trying to get over there.”
Immigration and Border Protection Minister Peter Dutton would not confirm the interception. He said he did not comment on the airport counterterrorism operations.
The Herald Sun has also learned the number of Australian jihadists believed to have been killed in the Middle East has risen to 39.
On Wednesday, the defence force confirmed an Australian Hornet bomber had killed a senior Islamic State commander during an air strike in July, killing 15 fighters as well as the commander.
“This leader controlled (IS) operations in an area of western Iraq,’’ Chief of Joint Operations David Johnston said.
“The removal, and it was a successful removal, of this individual has caused significant disruption and degradation to (IS) offensive operations.”
Originally published as Would-be terrorists stopped at airport