“Sydney Boy” Arrested

The scribblers from the Canberra Times are amongst the worst dhimmies in the land. Who in his right mind would describe a fully grown Mohammedan headbanger as a “Sydney boy?”

Sydney boy arrested in terror raids allegedly persuaded friend to join Islamic State

South-west Sydney terror raid

Two people are arrested and charged with foreign incursion offences following counter-terrorism raids in Sydney’s south-west. Vision: Nine News.

Notorious radical preacher Junaid Thorne, a low ranking Brothers For Life gang member Mohammed Boksmati and a member of the family of terror accused Omarjan Azari were also targeted in search warrants across Sydney. They were not charged.

A close associate of the boy’s, 24-year-old Mehmet Biber, was arrested in a dramatic roadside vehicle stop at Birrong. He was charged over a 2013 trip to Syria in which he allegedly joined terrorist group Jabhat al-Nusra before he was lured home in a sting operation by his family.

The 17-year-old boy charged on Thursday.

The 17-year-old boy charged on Thursday. Photo: Supplied

Police will allege the 17-year-old convinced a 26-year-old friend, Amin Elmir, to join Islamic State in Syria. Mr Elmir made it to Turkey in April this year yet couldn’t find contacts to escort him into Syria.

Fairfax Media has been told the 17-year-old sent him encrypted social media messages, encouraging him to keep trying and attempting to find a way for him to reach the war zone. Mr Elmir came home in July and has not been charged but is under close watch.

In January 2015, the 17-year-old tried to undertake the trip himself, telling his mother he was going fishing. He was stopped at Sydney Airport and had his passport cancelled.

A source close to the family said the boy had been “brainwashed” and turned from a quiet, unassuming high school student to a hardened zealot who abused one family member for supposedly not being modest enough on her Facebook profile. He was close friends with many of the young men charged with the murder of police accountant Curtis Cheng.

Police raid a home in Merrylands on Thursday.

Police raid a home in Merrylands on Thursday. Photo: Peter Rae

Mr Biber, from Merrylands, had allegedly taken the boy under his wing and prayed with him daily.

Fairfax Media visited Mr Biber several times this year after uncovering his return to Australia from Syria in January 2014.

Mehmet Biber, pictured in January 2016.

Mehmet Biber, pictured in January 2016. 

He said he was trying to live a quiet life but his Facebook profile was littered with extremist posts including a warning of more terror attacks like the shooting murder of police accountant Curtis Chengand encouraging others to travel to join Islamic State.

“Fearing ‘ohh but its so hard, ohh but i dont have enough money, ohh but its dangerous’ is not an excuse,” he said in one now-deleted post.

Mehmet Biber is arrested during a roadside vehicle stop in Birrong on Thursday.

Mehmet Biber is arrested during a roadside vehicle stop in Birrong on Thursday. Photo: NSW Police

His trip to Syria was well documented in the trial of Hamdi Alqudsi, who was convicted in July of recruiting Mr Biber plus six others and facilitating their entry into Syria to fight with Jabhat al-Nusra.

Intercepted calls from July 2013 captured Mr Biber telling Alqudsi that he had called his parents from the Turkey-Syria border to tell them he was in Syria doing aid work.

Notorious preacher Junaid Thorne also had his home raided on Thursday.

Notorious preacher Junaid Thorne also had his home raided on Thursday. Photo: Ben Rushton

“My entire family, they’re weeping, going crazy,” he said, adding that they didn’t know the “100 per cent” truth.

His pregnant wife, Mehlike Canpolat, supported his decision to join the terrorist group and was intercepted saying that she would hide the full story from Mr Biber’s family and the authorities.

Fairfax Media has been told his family called police in Australia and Turkey before travelling to Turkey and luring him back by saying his wife was there and had just given birth to their first child.

When he crossed back into Turkey, they took him home.

Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn said there were concerns he may have returned with skills in making improvised explosive devices or using weaponry.

It has taken almost three years for police to lay charges because it was difficult to obtain evidence from Syria, AFP Assistant Commissioner Neil Gaughan said on Thursday.

“This has been a protracted investigation and a very difficult one,” he said. “Evidence collection in Syria is extremely difficult based on the fact there are no competent law enforcement officers working in the region.”

Most of the men raided on Thursday were subjects of Firearm Prohibition Orders, allowing police to search their properties without warrants.

“Myself and a few other brothers are being raided as I type this,” Junaid Thorne posted on Facebook on Thursday morning. “Their harassment will never end.”

The pair did not apply for bail during brief court appearances on Thursday.

One thought on ““Sydney Boy” Arrested”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *