Australia: Sunni Muslims get 20 years for jihad plot to bomb Shia prayer hall

“Garling said neither of the offenders had been raised to follow an extreme version of Islam.”

Where did they learn this “extreme version of Islam”? At home only, or in the mosque? Which mosque? Is it being investigated?

“Judge sentences two men to 20 years over Sydney terrorism plot,” Australian Associated Press, December 8, 2016 (thanks to Kenneth):

Two men who planned to bomb a Sydney Shia prayer hall and vowed to stab people in the kidneys to impress an Islamic State recruiter have been jailed for at least 15 years.

Omar Al-Kutobi, 25, and Mohammad Kiad, 27, each pleaded guilty to one count of acting in preparation for a terrorist act, after they were arrested during counter-terrorism raids in February 2015.

In the NSW supreme court at Parramatta in Sydney’s west on Friday, Justice Peter Garling sentenced them to 20 years’ imprisonment with a non-parole period of 15 years.

The pair were arrested during a raid of their western Sydney flat by counter-terrorism police in February 2015, with officers finding a hunting knife, a machete and a homemade Islamic State flag.

Garling said neither of the offenders had been raised to follow an extreme version of Islam. But by the end of 2014 both “had been drawn to and had embraced the ideology of the Islamic State and extremist Islamic views”.

He said the prosecution had alleged that the conspiracy between the two amounted to detonating an improvised explosive device to damage or destroy a building, and/or using a machete or hunting knife to attack a member of the public….

3 thoughts on “Australia: Sunni Muslims get 20 years for jihad plot to bomb Shia prayer hall”

Comments are closed.