There is no deal. Trump will not take Turncoat’s Muselmaniacs, and we should not even consider to exchange them for equally unvetted Muselmaniacs from Costa Rica. Who in his right mind could possibly concoct such a fraud and call it “a deal?” We need to ship these people out and back to where they came from, and if they don’t want them there, then any Islamic country will do.
Details of Trump and Turnbull’s phone call over refugee deal revealed
Stunning details have emerged of US President Donald Trump’s conversation with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull about the deal for America to take refugees from Manus Island and Nauru.
The Washington Post is reporting Mr Trump told Mr Turnbull their conversation was the “worst by far” of the four phone calls he had on Saturday with world leaders including Russian President Vladimir Putin, and ended the call abruptly.
“This is the worst deal ever,” Trump fumed at Turnbull at one point.
President Trump reportedly accused Mr Turnbull of trying to export the “next Boston bombers” through Australia’s proposed refugee deal with the US.
The reports claims Mr Trump blasted Mr Turnbull over the deal, boasted about the magnitude of his electoral college win, and abruptly ended what was expected to be an hour-long call after 25 minutes.
The paper attributes the claims to “senior US officials briefed on the Saturday exchange”.
“US officials said that Trump has behaved similarly in conversations with leaders of other countries, including Mexico. But his treatment of Turnbull was particularly striking because of the tight bond between the United States and Australia – countries that share intelligence, support one another diplomatically and have fought together in wars including in Iraq and Afghanistan.”
The official White House statement on Mr Trump’s conversation said the two had “emphasised the enduring strength and closeness of the US-Australia relationship that is critical for peace, stability, and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region and globally.”
‘I don’t want these people’
A White House spokesman declined to comment to the Washington Post.
The paper said a senior administration official had acknowledged that the conversation with Turnbull had been hostile and charged, but emphasised that most of Trump’s calls with foreign leaders – including the heads of Japan, Germany, France and Russia – have been both productive and pleasant.
“US officials said that Trump continued to fume about the arrangement even after signing the order in a ceremony at the Pentagon,” it reported.
“I don’t want these people,’ Trump said.
“He repeatedly misstated the number of refugees called for in the agreement as 2,000 rather than 1,250, and told Turnbull that it was “my intention” to honour the agreement, a phrase designed to leave the US president wiggle room to back out of the deal in the future, according to a senior US official.”
Mr Turnbull reportedly told Mr Trump that to honour the agreement, the United States would not have to accept all of the refugees but only to allow them each through the normal vetting procedures. At that, Mr Trump vowed to subject each refugee to “extreme vetting,” the senior US official told the Washington Post.
At one point, Mr Turnbull reportedly suggested that the two leaders move on from their impasse over refugees to discuss the conflict in Syria and other pressing foreign issues.
“But Trump demurred and ended the call, making it far shorter than his conversations with Shinzo Abe of Japan, Angela Merkel of Germany, François Hollande of France or Putin,” the report claims.
PM: These conversations are ‘private’
Malcolm Turnbull has refused to comment on his conversation with Mr Trump or confirm whether it had ended early.
“I’m not going to comment on the conversation,” he said. “During the course of the conversation, as you know, and it was confirmed by the President’s official spokesman, the President assured me that he would continue with, honour the agreement we entered into with the Obama Administration with respect to refugee resettlement,” he said.
“I’m not going to comment on these reports of a conversation. Australians know me very well. I always stand up for Australia in every forum – public or private,” Mr Turnbull said.
Pressed on reports that Mr Trump told Mr Turnbull the call was the “worst call by far” of his conversations with world leaders on the weekend and that he had accused Australia of trying to export the “next Boston bombers”, Mr Turnbull again refused to comment.
“I’m not going to comment on a conversation between myself and the President of the United States other than what we have said publicly,” he said.
“You can surely understand the reasons for that. I appreciate your interest, but it’s better that these things, these conversations, are conducted candidly, frankly, privately.
“If you see reports of them, I’m not going to add to them.”
He said Australia’s relationship with the US remained strong.
“The fact we received the assurance that we did, the fact that it was confirmed, the very extensive engagement we have with the new administration underlines the closeness of the alliance,” he said.
Confusion over deal status
Conflicting reports have also emerged over the status of the deal for the US to take 1250 refugees from Manus Island and Nauru, with a White House statement saying the President is still deciding whether to accept the refugees, while the US State Department says it is still on.
An official from the State Department has told the ABC the deal will continue, but that the refugees will only come to the US in accordance with Mr Trump’s recently signed executive order which bans travel from seven majority Muslim countries for 90 days, and suspends all refugee admissions for 120 days and indefinitely for Syrian refugees.
“Out of respect for close ties to our Australian ally and friend, we will honour the agreement to accept some refugees from resettlement centres on Nauru and Papua New Guinea,” the statement said.
“Any refugees coming to US shores would only come to the United States in accordance with the recently signed Executive Order.”
The ABC reports that it simultaneously received a statement from the White House saying: “the President is still considering whether or not he will move forward with this deal at this time”.
“He is considering doing it because of the long and good relationship we have with Australia,” the statement said.