Australia: Muslim who stabbed three while screaming “Allahu akbar” also set truck full of gas cylinders on fire

Melbourne Attack Confirmed as Terrorism. Allahuakbaring Somali Savage Now Dead

The Daily Mail has named the attacker as Mohamed Khalif, who also reportedly goes by the name Hassan Shire.

The four wheel drive which exploded when it crashed was armed with gas cylinders which is why eye witnesses reported multiple explosions. Victoria Police are now treating it as a terrorism incident with the counter-terrorism command being brought in as well as the homicide squad.

The perpetrator of today’s deadly car attack and stabbing spree in Melbourne’s CBD which has now resulted in two people dead was known to ASIO and other security agencies and had links to known convicted terror plotters. The perpetrator after stabbing three people was shot in the chest by police when he tried to stab them has now died in hospital.

He was of Somalian background who arrived in Australia in the 1990s, had convictions for petty crimes and had links to North African terror organizations, his name as not been released. According to the Herald Sun his wife had been reported missing last night and believed to have been radicalized.

“Truck full of gas cylinders set on fire, three stabbed in Australia terror attack,” by Tom Westbrook and Sonali Paul, Reuters, November 9, 2018:

SYDNEY/MELBOURNE (Reuters) – A Somali-born man set fire to a pickup truck laden with gas cylinders in the center of the Australian city of Melbourne on Friday and stabbed three people, killing one, before he was shot by police in a rampage they called an act of terrorism.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack, without providing any evidence.

The utility truck carrying barbecue gas cylinders burned on busy Bourke Street just before the evening rush hour as the driver stabbed bystanders and attacked police.

The cylinders did not explode and the fire was put out in 10 minutes, by which point the attack was over.

“We are still trying to piece together whether the vehicle was lit then he got out the car or whether he got out the car and then the vehicle took flame,” Victoria Police Commissioner Graham Ashton told reporters.

Video posted to Twitter and broadcast on television showed the man swinging a knife at two police officers, while his truck burned in the background.

One of the officers shot the man and he collapsed to the ground clutching his chest, the video showed. Other footage showed two stab victims lying on the ground nearby.

The attacker died in hospital, as did one of the victims, Ashton said. “From what we know of that individual, we are treating this as a terrorism incident,” he said of the attacker….

Update:

Somali-born terrorist who stabbed three shoppers, killing one, is named after being shot dead by police – as ISIS claim the “lone wolf” as one of their own and it’s revealed his brother was arrested over a failed terror attack in Melbourne last year

WTF? The Daily Mail calls him a “lone wolf” while ISIS claim he’s one of them? 

  • Attacker was shot in the chest after his knife rampage and died of his wounds in Royal Melbourne Hospital
  • Holden Rodeo crashed before bursting into flames on the pavement in front of shocked afternoon shoppers
  • Man then stabbed three bystanders before slashing at two police officers who confronted him
  • Video then showed him scuffle with officers before being shot in the chest, and falling to the ground
  • A brave shopper also tried to run him down with a trolley during the chaos before the man was arrested
  • Man rushed to hospital in a critical condition with a chest injury as two others were taken with minor injuries
  • A third man was dead at the scene with his body laying in the street covered with a white sheet
  • Somalian man is reportedly known to ASIO spy agency and has links to terror plotters that are being probed
  • His brother was arrested in 2017 for attempting a terror attack in Federation Square on New Years Eve 

The knife-wielding Somali terrorist who was shot dead by police after crashing a car on Melbourne’s Bourke Street and setting it on fire, before stabbing three men, one fatally, has been named as Mohamed Khalif.

The lone wolf attacker also goes by the name of Hassan Shire, the Herald Sun reported.

He was rushed to hospital in a critical condition but later died from his wounds.

Officers shot him in the chest after his Holden Rodeo loaded with gas cylinders hit a pedestrian as it mounted the kerb and exploded outside Target near the Swanson Street intersection about 4.20pm on Friday.

Video shot from the scene showed the frenzied attack that carried on for more than a minute, beginning with Khalif charging at two police officers, punching one through a vehicle window and lunging at them with a knife.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) have since claimed the attack as their own via their propaganda platform, releasing a statement saying ‘the perpetrator of the operation in Melbourne was an Islamic State fighter and carried out the operation to target nationals of the coalition fighting IS’, Amaq reported, allegedly quoting a jihadist security source.

ISIS have previously claimed responsibility for attacks that were later discovered to be unrelated to the organisation.

Khalif’s 21-year-old brother, Ali Khalif Shire Ali, was arrested in November of 2017 in relation to an alleged foiled terror attack in Federation Square, also in the heart of Melbourne.

A knifeman stabbed a shopper to death on Melbourne's Bourke Street Mall and injured two others. A body was seen lying on the street covered in a white sheet

A knifeman stabbed a shopper to death on Melbourne’s Bourke Street Mall and injured two others. A body was seen lying on the street covered in a white sheet

ISIS have since claimed the attack as their own via the propaganda platform, releasing a statement saying 'the perpetrator of the operation... in Melbourne... was an Islamic State fighter and carried out the operation... to target nationals of the coalition' fighting IS, Amaq reported

ISIS have since claimed the attack as their own via the propaganda platform, releasing a statement saying ‘the perpetrator of the operation… in Melbourne… was an Islamic State fighter and carried out the operation… to target nationals of the coalition’ fighting IS, Amaq reported

The 31-year-old and his family were known to counter-terror agencies at a state and national level and were believed to have ties with north African extremist groups.

Khalif’s passport was cancelled several years ago after he was flagged as one of 300 potential security risks.

It was also noted police are unable to get in touch with Khalif’s wife, and believe she is both missing and radicalised.

Authorities may be hoping to utilise the state’s preventative detention laws for the first time since they came into effect, in which police are legally allowed to detain a suspect for up to seven days should they believe the person poses a threat or security risk, Herald Sun reported.

Premier Daniel Andrews said the attack was ‘an evil and terrifying thing that’s happened in our state’.

‘Our thoughts and prayers are with everybody touched by this, but we will not be defined by this,’ he said.

Victorian Liberal Party leader Matthew Guy said ‘we must eradicate this sort of thing,’ in a media conference shortly after.

‘Every resource should be going into keeping Victorians safe.’

The man again attempted to stab and slash at the officers several times before one policeman unsuccessfully tried to taser him

Video showed a man wielding a knife attempt to stab and slash at two police officers before he was shot and fell to the ground, and also a brave shopper try to hit him with a trolley

The officers then retreated to the other side of the road as the bearded attacker with a shaved head and dressed in a long brown tunic, pursued them as horrified bystanders called on police to shoot him

The officers then retreated to the other side of the road as the bearded attacker with a shaved head and dressed in a long brown tunic, pursued them as horrified bystanders called on police to shoot him

Somali savage  is shot by Police on Bourke Street following attack
Khalif's 21-year-old brother, Ali Khalif Shire Ali (pictured), was arrested in November of 2017 in relation to a foiled terror attack in Federation Square, also in the heart of Melbourne

Khalif’s 21-year-old brother, Ali Khalif Shire Ali (pictured), was arrested in November of 2017 in relation to a foiled terror attack in Federation Square, also in the heart of Melbourne

Khalif chased the officers around a tree as they tried to avoid his blows and convince him to surrender.

A brave bystander tried to stop the attack by running him down with a shopping trolley.

Another bystander, who lunged at Khalif using a traffic cone, told the Daily Telegraph the offender had ‘crazy eyes’.

Another young witness, who was working at a local KFC at the time, recollected the moment he saw all the blood from one of the victims, who was face down on the footpath.

Markel Villasin, 22 and his bosses ran out of their store when they heard a ‘commotion’.

Mr Villasin said he saw the terrorist Mohamed Khalif holding a knife and swinging it at police officers.

‘It looked like police officers didn’t know how to handle the situation because obviously in Melbourne it’s so rare,’ Mr Villasin told ABC.

Mr Villasin saw the man was breathing but appeared to be ‘bleeding out’, as emergency responders attempted to resuscitate him using CPR.

Despite the desperate attempts to save the man, he later died as a result of his wounds.

‘Unfortunately, the man passed away, they put a sheet on him. It was crazy because he was alive at my feet as they tried to work on him and then he passed away,’ Mr Villasin said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.