Just a reminder:
Victims of Socialism in Venezuela Warn U.S.: ‘Don’t Fall for it, ‘ ‘People Are Eating From Trash Bags’
Victims of Venezuelan socialism who have come to America recently attended a Venezuela Freedom Rally in Washington, D.C., where Campus Reform asked them for their message to Americans who support socialism.
“Bernie Sanders is your enemy. Do not ever, ever get involved with this individual or any of the other socialists,” one man who escaped Venezuelan socialism warned. “People are eating from trash bags in the streets,” one woman said. (GoV)
Socialism Is a Serious Threat
Trump brought his impressive State of the Union speech to a climax with a rousing call to reject socialism in favor of freedom and the American way:
• Medicare for All. Bernie Sanders’ plan, which has been endorsed by 16 other Senators, would replace all private health insurance in the U.S. with a federally administered single-payer health-care program. Government would decide what care to deliver, which drugs to pay for, and how much to pay doctors and hospitals. Private insurance would be banned.
That is, medical care in the USA would be provided on the same basis as in the USSR — and before long, at the same level of quality.
• The Green New Deal. This idea, endorsed by 40 House Democrats and several Democratic presidential candidates, would require that the U.S. be carbon neutral within 10 years. Non-carbon sources provide only 11% of U.S. energy today, so this would mean a complete remake of American electric power, transportation and manufacturing.
This a Khmer Rouge level of coercive social transformation. It would require a Khmer Rouge level tyranny to impose. The effect on our standard of living would be similar to what Pol Pot inflicted. If they actually try to impose this — and some Democrats clearly want to — the collapse of the economy will lead to mass starvation .
• A guaranteed government job for all. To assist in this 10-year transformation of society, the Green New Deal’s authors would “provide all members of our society, across all regions and all communities, the opportunity, training and education to be a full and equal participant in the transition, including through a job guarantee program to assure a living wage job to every person who wants one.”
In the Soviet Union, they supposedly had full employment — and would assign two government slaves to watch a single cow graze. The cost of full employment guaranteed by government is unimaginable in terms of lost efficiency.
• A new system for corporate control. Senator Elizabeth Warren wants a new federal charter for businesses with more than $1 billion in annual revenue that would make companies answer to more than shareholders. Employees would elect 40% of directors, who would be obliged to consider “benefits” beyond returns to the owners. This radical redesign of corporate governance would give politicians and their interest groups new influence over private business decisions and assets.
Blessedly, Warren’s absurd claim to be a politically sacred Indian no longer advances her career but rather is taking a toll on it. But she is hardly the only economic authoritarian in the Democrat Party.
• Vastly higher taxes. These ideas would require much more government revenue, and Democrats are eagerly proposing ways to raise it.
The higher taxes climb, the wealthier and more powerful the government is — and the poorer and more helpless we are.
We spent a vast fortune on a nuclear arsenal and committed ourselves to mutual assured destruction rather than submit to subsistence as enslaved mediocrities under socialism because we insisted on living as Americans who have the opportunity to excel. Marxists reacted by infiltrating and subverting key institutions like the media and the universities, in accordance with the strategy outlined by Antonio Gramsci and Rudi Dutschke. Their Long March Through the Institutions has put them in a position to brainwash and erode the character of whole generations. If they succeed in reducing us to less than American, socialism will prevail.