Chattanooga Marine killer made mystery seven-month pilgrimage to Jordan and his father was investigated for funding terrorism
- Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez was born in Kuwait with Jordanian citizenship but became a U.S. citizen in 1996
- He was a popular teen, described as an ‘All-American kid’ and started for the Red Bank High School wrestling team
- He then went to the University of Tennessee to study electrical engineering and became a Mixed Martial Arts fighter
- But he made several mystery trips to the Middle East, including Yemen and a seven-month tour of Jordan last year
- Kuwait’s official news agency also said the terrorist traveled to Kuwait and Jordan in Spring 2010
- Posted rambling messages about Islam and life being a ‘test’ in the days before the shooting
- His father was investigated by the Joint Terrorism Task Force in the 1990s for suspicious overseas donations
- Dailymail.com has exclusively obtained documents revealing his parents were caught in a messy divorce in 2009 with Abdulazeez’s mother alleging her husband beat her and sexually assaulted her in front of the children
- The head of the House Homeland Security Committee said he believes it was an ‘ISIS-inspired attack’
Chattanooga gunman Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez took several mysterious trips to the middle east before blogging about Allah and Islam in the days before his deadly gun attack, it has been revealed.
He has been described by classmates and former school coaches as an ‘All American’ student who came from a well-to-do family – but his behavior seemed to become more erratic and more religious.
It has been revealed the 24-year-old gunman, who shot and killed four Marines in Chattanooga, Tennessee, spent seven months on a visit to Jordan between April and November 2014. He is also believed to have visited Yemen, while the Kuwait News Agency reported he traveled there and to Jordan at least four other times between 2003 and Spring 2010.
Abdulazeez was also working as a nuclear engineer for FirstEnergy Corp in Ohio in 2013, but failed a background check, so was fired after training.
Authorities are now scrambling to find out if he spent any time with extremists on his travels, the Wall Street Journal reports. They are trawling though his seized cell phone and computer for proof of any radical contacts in the region.
Smirking: Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez, 24, smiles in a mugshot (left) following his arrest for driving under the influence in April. Right he is pictured training as an amateur MMA fighter
DOJ Attorney William Killian Threatened Americans for Speaking Out Against Islam – Now Leads Chattanooga Jihad Investigation
In response to Killian being at the center of the investigation, Pamela Geller said, “How ironic that it is Bill Killian — who was the most reluctant official to speak at today’s press conference. William Killian is the Department of Justice official who vowed to criminalize social postings on Facebook and Twitter.”
“We held a protest against Mr. Killian, and thousands joined us here,” she added. “Killian should be removed from the case. He is incapable of conducting a sharia-free investigation.”