My Intolerance of Intolerance
By Sam Vimes
It’s April 2018, and there’s hardly a day that goes by in which I don’t ask myself how the hell we got to this point? When did society, collectively, lose the plot to the extent that it has? What was the pivotal moment?
In case you have any doubt about what I’m on about, I’m referring to the suffocating cultural miasma that we’re all floating around in daily, the one that spruiks repression of common sense values, hatred of anything vaguely Western, white, Christian, capitalist or male, and generally is making a misery out of most public exchanges, movies, music, television, and relationships by turning practically every subject known to man (sorry – peoplekind) into a loaded and intellectually challenged political discussion, devoid of humour, nuance or empathy.
You can take your pick from a list of issues that have been subsumed by the culture as quantifiable truths that define the polarised nature of all public discourse and political policy, yet somehow bear no semblance to reality:
• Words are violence
• Free speech is not important
• Hate speech is whatever “I” define it as
• Gender is a social construct – anyone can identify as any gender whenever they want to
• Biology plays no part in determining who is male and female, society does
• Islam is a religion of peace and its corollary … Criticism of any aspect of Islam is Islamophobia
• Christian fundamentalism is equivalent to Islamic extremism
• Only white people are capable of racism, brown people cannot be racist because …
• White male patriarchy is the dominant structure of oppression in history and …
• Non-white people are inherently victims of this oppression
• The slave trade was a uniquely Western institution, no other races or cultures were ever involved other than as victims
• Equality of opportunity is not enough and is itself oppressive – equality of outcome is the only fair option
• All white people are guilty of unconscious bias i.e. are guilty of micro-aggressions aimed at any and all oppressed groups
• Offence may be taken without it being given – those who have taken offence must be praised while those that have been deemed to have given offence must apologise
• White people achieve success or acclaim only through the colour of their skin and their white privilege – hard work and application are irrelevant
• Men perpetrate violence upon women uniquely, in fact …
• There’s an epidemic of rape in society, especially on university campuses by young men, so much so that an accusation of rape is more legitimate than the right of the accused to a fair hearing, although …
• A very real epidemic of rape, abuse of women and practices such as honour murders of girls and women in certain non-Western countries is perfectly tolerable because ‘culture’
• All cultures are equal
• Religious beliefs (particularly Christian) are no longer tolerable in a progressive society, in fact …
• Were Christianity to disappear altogether it would be a boon to society
• Capitalism is a uniquely oppressive economic system, responsible for huge inequality and injustice
• Socialism on the other hand is the only fair economic system and will lead to equality for all
• The gender wage gap is proof that women are subjugated by the patriarchy, and of course …
• The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming!!!
Honestly, I could keep going for a while with this, and I’m sure you, dear reader, could add your own favourites in the comments below [actually that might be a useful experiment to see just how long a consolidated list of leftist lunacy could be] – suffice it to say, in today’s hyper-polarised world, it’s not that I mind so much that a large portion of society clings to issues such as those listed above, but that the moderators of public opinion – the media, academics and professional opinion-brokers alike – define all of us who dare to call bullshit on this stuff as CIS-normative-racist-bigoted-mysoginist-sexist-denier-god-botherer-homophobic-rape-apologist-intolerant FASCISTS.
Hands up if you’ve been called some variant of the above already on social media in the past year? Continue reading WTF is happening to us?