Still waiting for the first Muhammad bin Einstein, but I won’t hold my breath.
MUSLIMS with a real understanding of Islam believe that the word and the essence of Islam emanate and preach peace, compassion, tolerance of all religions and beliefs, and respect for humanity and human dignity.
OIC SECRETARY GENERAL
These are fundamental principles of Islam since Prophet Muhammad first spread its message over 14 centuries ago.
Furthermore, throughout history Muslims promoted peaceful coexistence with their fellow human beings across the world regardless of differences in religion and culture.
It cannot be denied that Muslims’ contribution to civilisation has been great, essential, and irrefutable in all fields, and Muslims have always recognised other peoples’ religions and great contributions to humanity.
Unfortunately, due to the rise of Islamophobia, mainly in the West, Muslims nowadays are facing various types of racial and discriminatory acts particularly by extremists and racists who irrationally try to equate Islam with terrorism based on false premises and assumptions. (More false premises and assumptions, here)
May we suggest Spencer’s cure for Islamophobia in 5 easy steps:
1. Focus their indignation on Muslims committing violent acts in the name of Islam, not on non-Muslims reporting on those acts.
2. Renounce definitively not just “terrorism,” but any intention to replace the U.S. Constitution (or the constitutions of any non-Muslim state) with Sharia even by peaceful means. In line with this, clarify what is meant by their condemnations of the killing of innocent people by stating unequivocally that American and Israeli civilians are innocent people.
3. Teach Muslims the imperative of coexisting peacefully as equals with non-Muslims on an indefinite basis.
4. Begin comprehensive international programs in mosques all over the world to teach against the ideas of violent jihad and Islamic supremacism.
5. Actively work with Western law enforcement officials to identify and apprehend jihadists within Western Muslim communities.
If Muslims do those five things, voila! People like me will no longer suffer from the illness of “Islamophobia”!