* Which ‘hurt the feelings’ of the RoP-ers who promptly started to run amok….
Representatives of the Religion of Peaceâ„¢ are rioting and burning cars in Calcutta, demanding the death of female writer Taslima Nasreen for suggesting that women might need more rights: Army deployed after Calcutta riot.
Hundreds of soldiers are trying to keep peace in Calcutta
Notice that the BBC says the crowds are calling for Nasreen to “leave the country,” even though there was a very specific death fatwa issued for her.
Nasreen is in self-imposed exile from Bangladesh, where fundamentalist Islamic groups have issued a fatwa against her for alleged blasphemous writings, some of which are critical of Islam.
HEAVILY armed Indian troops patrolled the streets of Kolkata last night after a day of violence in which rampaging Muslim mobs demanded the expulsion from the city of the controversial Bangladeshi author Taslima Nasreen.Â
As a dusk-to-dawn curfew was imposed, neighbours said they believed Nasreen had been forced to flee for her life as the mobs took to nearby streets, burning cars and attacking shopfronts with stones.Â
* Its a religion of peace, don’t you know?Â
Nasreen has been the target of repeated fatwas from Muslim extremists in Bangladesh and elsewhere for her views on women and Islam.
In a recent interview with The Australian, she said she felt secure in the city because locals provided her with protection against the extremists.
She is in India on a temporary residence permit that is normally renewed every six months. But last night New Delhi appeared to be under mounting pressure to remove her from the country.
Sounds familiar? Where we gonna run to when the shit hits the fan?Â
* If you think it is a bad idea to try to win over jihadi’s by bribing them in order to win ‘hearts and minds’ you’re probably right, but ‘moderate’ Indonesia is trying to do just that with some of the hardcore terrorists incarcerated in their prisons. There is only one thing that could possibly be stronger than Islam in Indonesia though, and that is graft and corruption. But if you think that corruption is so bad that the money doesn’t go the jihadist’s you’re wrong again, because the inmates are using it already to convert other inmates to their cause. The money we’re talking about comes of course from some obscure ‘International Agency” like “The International Crisis Group” and their “senior adviser in Indonesia, Sidney Jones”- in other words: our taxpayers money is being used for some dubious, idiotic programs to re-socialize jihadists who actually use it to further the cause of jihad in prison. Clever, isn’t it?
* Not to worry, for now Sydney Jones has a cushy government job and wants the program to continue:
Of the 170 Islamic terrorists in Indonesian jails, 22 were taking part in the deradicalisation program, Ms Jones said.
“Five were pretty serious terrorists, and it’s better having five out of the network than in. I think police are on to something looking at economic aid as the first step in changing attitudes, but they need to work out new strategies on how to get to those who aren’t participating, because the real hardliners are not.”
There was a danger that the program’s gains could be offset by radicals recruiting other prisoners, Ms Jones said.
* Indeed. More than likely. Not obvious enough? Perhaps our government should pull the plug on misguided adventures like this. Ms Jones might be better off joining the warmonistas and ride into the sunset along with her organization.
* ‘Rebels & insurgents’ -alert: another bullshit report from AP where they just can’t be seen connecting the dots:
BANGKOK, Thailand – Unidentified gunmen in insurgency-wracked southern Thailand killed four local government employees Wednesday in the same district where a prominent political party leader was campaigning, police said.
After the shooting, however, a bomb in the car exploded as police and reporters arrived, wounding two policemen. It is a common tactic of the insurgents to leave a bomb at the scene of an attack to target security forces as they arrive to investigate.
Despite government efforts to suppress the rebels, they continue to carry out drive-by killings and small-scale bombings almost daily, apparently in an effort to terrorize Buddhist residents into leaving the area.
* It’s not like appeasement has been successful in diffusing conflicts in the past. Heck, all you have to do is look at what’s going on in Pakistan and Thailand to know that appeasement only provides fodder for the Islamists to make additional demands and claims for still more territory. It’s an excuse to take yet more, and to inflict still more carnage
The Philippines government and separatist rebels have struck a deal on creating a Muslim homeland in the country’s south which is expected to lead to a peace accord next year, officials said Thursday.
The agreement on the extent of territory to be handed over had been a major stumbling block in the peace talks that opened when a ceasefire was forged with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) in 2001.
The two sides did not disclose the new borders agreed after two days of talks here, but Malaysian officials said the territory would be greater than the present autonomous region in the troubled island of Mindanao.
“After more than three decades of problems in Mindanao, it is for the government to give concessions. It could not be the other side, so the government has to concede what it think is reasonable,” said Philippines chief negotiator Rodolfo Garcia.
* 3 decades??? The conflict goes back centuries, in the case of the Philippines Muslims have been waging jihad there for at least 500 years…
In an issue known as “ancestral domain,” the land in question consists of untitled communal farms that came under formal state ownership when the Philippines became a Spanish colony in the late 16th century.
The world resurgence of Islam after World War II gave Muslims in the Philippines a stronger sense of unity as a religious community than they had in the past.
Since the early 1970s, the number of Muslim teachers visiting the country and Filipino Muslims traveling abroad â€” either on the hajj or on scholarships â€” has increased to unprecedented levels. As a result, Muslims have built many new mosques and religious schools, where students (male and female) learn the basic rituals and principles of Islam and learn to read the Qur’an in Arabic.