“Mohamed Sanoussi has completed a sex offenders’ course and has been classified for release on parole, but…”
A GANG rapist who took part in a series of sickening, sexual assaults which caused national outrage is being groomed for jail release. Â (Telegraph)
Mohamed Sanoussi was a member of the notorious Skaf gang which went on a four-week rampage of sexual assault before the Sydney Olympics 2000.
A prison source has told news.com.au that Sanoussi is in a minimum security wing of Sydney’s Long Bay Jail in Sydney on a pre-release program called Ngara Nura and has already qualified for weekend release into the community.
Sanoussi could be back into the community in as little as 29 days.
Sanoussi was one of 14 Lebanese Australian Muslims led by Bilal Skaf who committed a series of gang rape attacks against Australian women and teenage girls over a four-week period.
One of the victims was raped 25 times by a total of 14 men at Bankstown, in Sydney’s west, in an ordeal that lasted six hours, during which the attackers called her an “Aussie Pig” and told her she would be raped “Leb-style”.
Two 16-year-old girls were raped repeatedly over five hours and told “you deserve it because you’re Australian”.
Victims of Crime Assistance League campaigner Howard Brown said the current parole system may be insufficient to properly supervise Sanoussi on his release.
“Mohamed Sanoussi has completed a sex offenders’ course and has been classified for release on parole, but the there’s no longer a system in place which gives proper supervision to serious sex offenders,” he said.
“As recent cases show there has been an erosion of public confidence in the justice system.
“When a [sex offender] will be released, we have to keep really close tabs on him.
“But supervision has to be random. It used to be (that) we had a team who would knock on the doors of serious sex offenders at three in the morning, but that was abandoned for political reasons.
“Now parole officers work nine to five and ring up offenders to organise a meeting to check on how they are going.”
Sanoussi, now aged 29, has served 12 years of a maximum 16-year sentence which is due to expire in late 2016 for his role in two of the four gang rapes in 2000.
He successfully appealed against an original 21-year sentence.
He was involved in the Bankstown rapes and assaults on two women in a park who were forced to give oral sex to eight males.
The NSW State Parole Authority refused his application last year, but ordered he be prepared for weekend leave to “encourage his successful integration into the community”.
Sanoussi will appear before the parole board on July 26, when he is expected to be granted release.
Mr Brown said he had been progressed to the lowest security classification of a C3.
“They are manoeuvring him for release,” he said.
A Skaf gang rape victim, who spoke with news.com.au through her mother, said news of Sanoussi’s release brought back memories of her horrifying ordeal.
“Her life is like swimming with shoes on,” the victim’s mother said.
NSW Attorney General Greg Smith last week ordered an urgent review of the parole system after a NSW man on parole for murder was charged with intent to murder another woman and attempted rape.
A spokeswoman for Mr Smith said new measures would increase supervision of serious offenders, “while reducing duplication and eliminating inconsistent standards”.
The new system focuses the highest levels of supervision on those offenders who need it and eliminates over-servicing of offenders on less serious offences, including fraud.
“The new system which is used for all offenders, is based on a new risk assessment model.
“This government takes supervision of parolees very seriously and is committed to ensuring the safety of the community is paramount.”
Sanoussi’s expected release conditions will include electronic monitoring and drug and alcohol abstinence.