Plot to bomb Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate is foiled after Syrian teen ISIS supporter posing as an asylum seeker is arrested
- Police say Isis supporter, 19, also considered bombing the Reichstag
- Officials said he joined Islamic State in his Syrian home village in 2013
- Travelled to Germany claiming to be an asylum seeker in summer 2015
- Marked down the number of tourist buses to maximise death, police say
- He was arrested in March and authorities have just released information
He had marked down the number of tourist buses at several places to maximise death and injury to innocents, said prosecutors.
The 19-year-old Isis supporter was also allegedly considering bombing the nearby Reichstag, the seat of German government, and the Alexanderplatz shopping precinct in East Berlin.
The Federal Court of Justice (BGH) released the information about the man identified only as Shaas al-M. on Thursday.
Officials say he also acted as a recruiter for Isis and a contact for other would-be terrorists before he was arrested in March.
He allegedly recruited at least one person who left the country to fight with the terrorists.
In other news:
AFD is also trying to rearrange the furniture, in a slightly different way:
- No, Lithuania is not like Germany or Sweden
- Six of the Jihadis Involved in Paris Attacks Entered Europe as ‘Refugees’
- MORE than half of all French people live with the constant fear of an Islamic terrorist attack.
- Majority of Germans Reject Poverty as Valid Asylum Reason
He faces a multitude of criminal charges. Authorities also said he was prepared ‘to commit an attack in the name of Islamic State together with two unknown people.’
Officials said he joined Islamic State in his Syrian home village in 2013, underwent military training, and performed guard duties for the terrorist group before travelling to Germany, claiming to be an asylum seeker in summer 2015.
Last month he was charged with being a member of the terrorist organization and breaking arms control laws. More charges are expected to follow and his trial is not expected to take place before the spring of next year.
News of his plans came two days after the arrest of five suspected Islamic State recruiters, including the alleged mastermind of the entire recruiting network, in Germany.
Another ‘highly dangerous’ terrorist suspect and Isis member was arrested by Berlin police on November 3, but prosecutors said they did not have enough evidence to charge him with terrorism offences, but he remains on remand accused of falsifying documents.
Germany has been on edge since July when two bogus asylum seekers – one an Afghani, the other Syrian – mounted attacks in Bavaria. Both were killed – one by police, one with his suicide bomb – and although several people were injured, no victims died as a result of their acts.