Â Good riddance.
Among his fellow head choppers, he was known asÂ “Abu Asma al-Australi”:
A screen grab from the web shows the alleged Australian suicide bomber (face pixellated).Â Source:Supplied
Australia’s first suicide bomber believed to be 27-year-old Brisbane man named on social media as ‘Abu Asma al-Australi’
COUNTER-TERRORISM authorities believe an Australian who became the country’s first suicide bomber after he blew himself up in a truck in Syria last week was a 27-year-old Brisbane man already under investigation by the Australian Federal Police.
Authorities are understood to be investigating the circumstances surrounding the bombing, which occurred at the Deir al-Zour military airport in Syria’s east.
The bomber was named on social media sites as “Abu Asma al-Australi”, an alias authorities believe could refer to a Brisbane man named Ahmed.
The AustralianÂ has not published his surname for legal reasons.
Ahmed is understood to have a wife, at least one brother, and possibly a child.
The usual suspects circle the wagons, nobody knew him:
THE Logan Muslim community has closed ranks and denied one of their own was the Australian suicide bomber who killed 35 soldiers in Syria.
Australia’s first suicide bomber isÂ believed to be a 27-year-old Logan man who was Australian-born and of Lebanese descent.
- Mum sentenced over ‘I am a bomb’ tee
- Syria: Hundreds of rebels pledge loyalty to al-Qaeda groups
- Tunisian women “waging sex jihad in Syria”
The Australian Federal Police yesterday refused to comment on the man or whether they were monitoring social media accounts connected to him.
It is understood the AFP were monitoring the man before the attack, dubbed by a Syrian online media outlet as, “Martyrdom Operation in Deir al Zor”.
Yesterday the AFP briefed the Queensland Police Service, which was not involved in the counter-terrorism investigation.
A number of Australian and overseas social media reported the incident.
One site said that on September 11, an Australian man drove an explosives-filled truck to a checkpoint near the Deir Al Zour military airport.
The website reports say the checkpoint was manned by 35 soldiers from the Assad regime.
On September 13, a Brisbane man said on Twitter: “We have had the first Australian born of Lebanese descent from Queensland blow himself up as a suicide bomber in Syria”.
It has been reported that the man sent his wife home before carrying out the attack.
New federal Attorney-General George Brandis, QC, did not comment.
Griffith University Associate Professor Mohamad Abdalla denied the man, who has been identified to The Courier-Mail, was involved.
He said he knew members of the man’s family, who told him they had made contact with the man, believed to be alive and in Turkey, this week.
– Renee Viellaris, Kris Crane and Kate McKenna